Milton Lilbourne lies in the eastern part of the twenty mile long Vale of Pewsey, with its distinct areas of chalk, clay, greensand and gravels. The Parish is traversed from east to west by three water features; the Kennet and Avon Canal, the stream from Deane Water, flowing through New Mill and Milkhouse Water, and, south of the village, the stream originating on our boundary with Easton Royal. Both of these streams are the main headwaters forming the main River Avon.
The Parish of Milton Lilbourne has six hamlets, namely Clench, Fyfield, Littleworth, Little Salisbury, Milkhouse Water & New Mill, as well as the main village running North-South, as do so many of the Vale villages.
Clench Common is the most northerly part of the Parish, high on the flat land of chalk, clay and flints, but part of this was transferred to Savernake Parish in 1987, leaving the prominent Martinsell Hill as the most northerly. Milkhouse Water has been renamed several times since 1236, when it was called Mulecot, or cottages by the mill. A second mill was established later at New Mill, and a wharf was built here on the Kennet & Avon Canal in 1807, and, later, in 1862, a large embankment took the extension of the railway across low wetlands, parallel to the canal, towards Pewsey.
There are three other hamlets in the Parish, each with the prefix Little. Adjoining Pewsey parish , there is Little Ann, a corruption of little land, with originally five cottages, and further along the road, Little Salisbury which was the biggest of the three. Here was a slaughterhouse, a forge and a pub which is now closed formerly known as The Three Horseshoes- as well as several cottages. Littleworth was tiny in 1850, having just three cottages, but a Wesleyan chapel was built in 1854, followed by a Methodist chapel in 1932.
The Parish of Milton Lilbourne has been, since the 3rd Century BC, an excellent place to settle and raise a family and currently has just over 200 households.